Discovery of the surroundings of the Escale Occitane campsite, near the Canal du Midi
Near the campsite you will discover multiple and amazing landscapes, hills, gorges, plains, forests, sea and mountains.
The Cité de Carcassonne, the Canal du Midi, the Cathar castles and abbeys. Many activities are possible in the area.
The campsite is ideally situated less than 15km from Carcassonne and its beautiful medieval fortified city.
The castle and ramparts of the medieval fortress town of Carcassonne are a designated Unesco World Heritage Site.
The Canal du Midi
Listed as a World Heritage Site by UNESCO since 1996, the Canal du Midi is the work of engineer Pierre-Paul Riquet. Started in 1667 and completed in 1681, this work established a direct connection between the Mediterranean and the Atlantic Ocean.
Lake Fontorbe in Alzonne,
along the road to Raissac.
Hiking trails for the whole family with your doggies around Lake Fontorbe. Roach, rudd and carp populate the lake.
The area is equipped and accessible to people with reduced mobility.
Pooches are allowed and can take a dip too.
The Château de Saissac
The Château de Saissac, listed as a historical monument, is the oldest and one of the largest castles in the Cathar region.
The Monastery of Notre-Dame-de-Prouilhe in Fanjeaux
The Monastery of Notre-Dame-de-Prouilhe in Fanjeaux. One of the most important Dominican monasteries, dating back to the early 13th century.
The Chivalry Museum
The Chivalry Museum in Villesèquelande (5.1 km), weapons, costumes…
1000 years of history.
Villelongue Abbey in Saint Martin le vieil
Villelongue Abbey in Saint Martin le vieil (4.5 km.) A former Cistercian abbey, listed as a historic monument, its construction dates back to 1180, in the typical Gothic style of southern Languedoc. There is also a medieval-inspired botanical garden to visit.
Arfons (14.8 km).
The mountain channel and waterworks of the Alzeau river. In the heart of the Montagne Noire, the Alzeau water inlet is the starting point of the Canal du Midi supply system.
Les Cammazes (18 km).
The tunnel of Vauban. Here, through a 120m tunnel, designed by Vauban in 1686, flows the mountain stream of the Montagne Noire, which feeds the water basin of Saint-Ferréol.
Bram (4.7 km) Lake Buzerens.
Lake Buzerens is an old gravelpit transformed into a recreational area. In July-August you can enjoy water skiing, the beach is supervised.
Bram (4.7 km) Marina on the Canal du Midi. Rental boats.
Region of the cassoulet.
The 4 sluices of Saint Roch
• L’Abbaye de Caunes-Minervois.
• Gouffre géant de Cabrespine.
• La Grotte de Limousis.
• Le Lac de la Cavayère.
Abbaye de Caunes-Minervois
Le gouffre de Cabrespine
La grotte de Limousis
Montolieu, book and art village.
Montolieu, book and art village with magnificent views. (at 5.1 km).
• Museum art collection Cérès Franco.
• The swimming pool (4.8 km), which is open in July and August, is a heated outdoor pool with 2 basins, one of which is suitable for children.
• The cactus grove of Escaïre-Figue with cactus nature trail.
A stay in Grand Carcassonne is not complete without exploring the unspoilt nature, embedded in a landscape shaped for centuries by the work of the wine growers.
The peaks of the Montagne Noire or l'Alaric, the hills of the Minervois or the Cabardès, the towpath of the Canal du Midi or the banks of the Aude, all these beautifull landscapes are well worth a visit, to discover a wild and picturesque nature.
• Hiking the steep paths of the Montagne d'Alaric, near Carcassonne, where, from a naturally formed belvedere, you have magnificent views of the Pyrenees and the vineyards of the Corbières.
• Cool down on one of the many paths of the Montagne Noire in the shade of pine trees, around a lake (Lampy, Laprade…) or along the canal so dear to Pierre-Paul Riquet.
• At a gallop, on an adventurous horseback ride over the rolling hills of Val de Dagne, Minervois or the peaks of the Montagne Noire.
• Cycling along the roads of the Montagne Noire, climb the Pic de Nore, like the pros of the Tour de France, along the quiet towpaths of the Canal du Midi or, for mountain bikers, challenging trails on the MTB routes of the Aragon. Go on a discovery tour with quad bikes for the whole family, near Arzens, for a visit to the Malepère.
• Boating with family or friends with a canoe, kayak or raft down the Aude River, we guarantee you a thrilling experience.
• Experience a subterranean exploration of the caves of Gouffre de Cabrespine.
• Angling in pristine mountain landscapes, on a lake or a river.
•Push your limits sport climbing the natural climbing walls of the Caunes-Minervois at Notre-Dame-du-Cros.
• Play in the middle of Lac de la Cavayère in Carcassonne while taking advantage of the nautical activities offered by this exceptional site. Giant slides, water ski lift, tree climbing course with zip line over the lake... Sensations and freshness will be there.